Aeroplan is Canada’s most popular travel rewards program, so it’s no surprise that Canadian frequent flyers want to know: what is the best Aeroplan credit card? Here at Young and Thrifty, we’ve looked at the competition and compiled a guide to the best Aeroplan cards on the market.
The Best Aeroplan Credit Cards in Canada
|Aeroplan Credit Card||Welcome Bonus||Annual Fee||More Info|
|TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card||Online Exclusive: Earn up to 50,000 Aeroplan points†. Plus, first year no Annual Fee†. Conditions Apply. Must apply online by September 5, 2022.||$139|
(first year annual fee rebate)†
|The American Express® Aeroplan®* Card||Up to 50,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan®* points (conditions apply)||$120||Read More|
|The American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card||Earn up to 85,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan®* points (conditions apply)||$599||Read More|
|The Platinum Card®||Up to 80,000 Membership Rewards® points (conditions apply)||$699||Read More|
Offer for the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite Card is not available for residents of Quebec. For Quebec residents, please click here.
†Terms and conditions apply
Comparison of the Best Aeroplan Credit Cards in Canada
TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card
At the top of our list is the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card*, and looking at the perks and points-earning potential, it’s easy to see why. This card offers a generous welcome bonus.
Earn up to $1,400 in value† including up to 50,000 Aeroplan points, no annual fee for the first year and additional travel benefits. Must apply online by September 5, 2022.
- Earn a welcome bonus of 10,000 Aeroplan points when you make your first purchase with your new card†
- Earn 20,000 Aeroplan points when you spend $1,500 within 90 days of Account opening†
- Plus, earn an additional 20,000 Aeroplan points when you spend $7,500 within 12 months of Account opening†
- Enroll for NEXUS and once every 48 months get an application fee rebate†, and share free first checked bags†
- Plus, get an annual fee rebate for the first year†.
To receive the first-year annual fee rebate, you must activate your Card and make your first Purchase on the Account within the first 3 months after Account opening and you must add your Additional Cardholders by September 6, 2022.
Aside from this excellent promotion, cardholders earn additional points with every dollar spent on your card (1.5:$1 on eligible groceries, gas, and AirCanada.com; 1:$1 on everything else).† Purchases made at participating Aeroplan partners and online retailers via the Aeroplan eStore earn double the rewards when you pay with your Aeroplan credit card and present your Aeroplan membership card, so cardholders can rack up their points quickly and easily.
The card also carries other travel-related perks including travel and car rental insurance, and exclusive benefits such as a free first checked bag for you and up to 8 travel companions on the same reservation for Air Canada flights, priority check-in and boarding with Air Canada flights, and more.
- Annual Fee: $139 (annual fee rebate for the first year)†
- Income Eligibility: $60,000 personal income or $100,000 annual income
- Credit Score Requirement: Good to Excellent
- Welcome Offer: Online Exclusive: Earn up to 50,000 Aeroplan points†. Plus, first year no Annual Fee†. Conditions Apply. Must apply online by September 5, 2022.
- Additional Perks: Travel insurance, VIP benefits when travelling on Air Canada flights, Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance, and no Aeroplan points expiry for cardholder
- Purchase APR: 19.99% | Cash Advance APR: 22.99%
This offer is not available for residents of Quebec. For Quebec residents, please click here.
†Terms and conditions apply.
The American Express® Aeroplan®* Card
The American Express® Aeroplan®* Card makes a great first impression with a generous welcome bonus. New American Express® Aeroplan®* Cardmembers can earn up to 50,000 Aeroplan®* points:
- Earn 20,000 Aeroplan points after spending $1,500 in net purchases on your Card within the first 3 months of Cardmembership
- Plus, earn 2,500 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card for the first twelve months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 30,000 Aeroplan points.
But the perks don’t end there: this card comes with some sweet travel insurance coverage and you get a free checked bag for yourself and up to nine companions travelling on the same reservation. You’ll get points anytime you use your card with standard earn rates, with the most points for Air Canada®* and Air Canada vacations®* (2X the points) or on eligible dining and food delivery in Canada (1.5X the points). You’ll get 1X the points everywhere else you use your card, however.
- Annual Fee: $120
- Minimum Income Eligibility Requirement: N/A
- Credit Score Required: Good to Excellent
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 50,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan®* points (conditions apply)
- Additional Benefits: Comprehensive insurance, Air Canada travel benefits, access to exclusive American Express benefits, Eligible cardmembers get a FREE Uber Pass membership for 6 months — Including unlimited $0 delivery fee on eligible restaurant orders of $15 or more, 5% off eligible restaurant orders over $15, and exclusive Rides Perks
- Interest on Purchases: N/A | Interest on Cash Advances: N/A
American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card
If you like the perks of the American Express® Aeroplan®* Card and you travel quite a bit, consider the American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card. While the fee is $599 per year, it’s easy to see how the benefits, points-earning potential and welcome bonus are worth it.
If you use this card to pay for your everyday purchases (especially travel), you’ll quickly accumulate some serious points. Get 3X the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada®* and Air Canada Vacations®*; 2X the points on eligible Dining and Food Delivery purchases in Canada; and earn 1.25X the points on everything else.
The cardholder benefits are extensive, includingEnjoy access to select Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges™* and Air Canada Café™ in North America for you and a guest, with a same day ticket on a departing Air Canada or Star Alliance flight; Air Canada Priority Airport Services such as priority check-in, boarding, and baggage handling; and special perks at Pearson International Aiport, plus comprehensive travel insurance, an annual buddy pass, and more.
However, it’s the welcome bonus that seals the deal. New American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Cardmembers can earn up to a total of 85,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan®* points.
- Earn 25,000 Aeroplan points after spending $3,000 in net purchases on your Card within the first 3 months of Cardmembership
- Plus, you can also earn 5,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 in purchases on your Card for the first twelve months of Cardmembership. That could add up to 60,000 Aeroplan points
The winning combination of perks, insurance, and welcome bonus makes this card a very attractive option, justifying the robust fee.
- Annual Fee: $599
- Minimum Income Eligibility Requirement: N/A
- Credit Score Required: N/A
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 85,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan®* points (conditions apply)
- Additional Benefits: Comprehensive insurance, access to select Air Canada lounges and Priority Airport services, Annual Worldwide Companion Pass, access to exclusive American Express benefits, Eligible cardmembers get a FREE Uber Pass membership for 12 months — Including unlimited $0 delivery fee on eligible restaurant orders of $15 or more, 5% off eligible restaurant orders over $15, and exclusive Rides Perks
- Interest on Purchases: 19.99% | Interest on Cash Advances: 21.99%
The Platinum Card®
If you’re a frequent traveler, you’ll love the premium perks offered by this card. The Platinum Card® from American Express has an amazing welcome bonus and incredible points-earning potential that you can easily redeem towards eligible travel purchases charged to the card.
New Platinum® Cardmembers earn 60,000 Welcome Bonus points after charging $6,000 in net purchases to their card in the first 3 months of Cardmembership. Plus, earn 20,000 points when you make a purchase between 14 and 17 months of Cardmembership. Terms and conditions apply.
It’s not the only selling point: you’ll also get a $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit that can be used towards any single travel booking of $200 or more charged to your Platinum Card® through American Express Travel Online or through Platinum Card® Travel Service.
Members also get comprehensive travel insurance coverage and free access to more than 1,300 airport lounges worldwide as well as discounts and other valuable perks at hotels. Finally, consider that you’ll earn:
- 3 points for every $1 in card purchases on eligible dining and food delivery in Canada
- 2 points for every $1 in card purchases on eligible travel
- 1 point for every $1 in all other card purchases
- 1 additional Membership Rewards® point for every $1 you charge to your Platinum Card® on eligible hotel or car rental bookings made with American Express Travel
With this card, you can transfer points to various airline frequent flyer programs like Aeroplan or Marriott Bonvoy. For Aeroplan, you can transfer your Membership Rewards Points to Aeroplan points at a rate of 1:1. All things considered, these perks could justify the sky-high $699 annual fee.
- Annual Fee: $699
- Income Eligibility: N/A
- Credit Score Required: Good to Excellent
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 80,000 Membership Rewards® points (conditions apply)
- Additional Perks: $200 CAD travel credit
- Interest rates: Interest applies in accordance with your Cardmember Agreement, Information Box, and Disclosure statement if the total New Balance is not paid by the Payment Due Date each month. All payments must be received by the Payment Due Date shown on the monthly statement.
About the Aeroplan Miles Rewards Program
The Aeroplan Rewards Program is a rewards system owned by Air Canada, a leading Canadian airline. Your accumulated points can be redeemed for travel rewards, such as flights on Air Canada and its partner airlines, hotels, car rentals, vacation packages, and event tickets.
Additionally, there is merchandise available through the Aeroplan program. You can also donate your points to select charities or transfer them to up to eight people in your family group, free of charge.
As an Aeroplan credit card holder, Aeroplan points never expire, so anything you earn on flights or through an Air Canada Aeroplan card can be used to travel or for merchandise now or in the future.
One consideration: the Aeroplan program was completely overhauled and relaunched on November 8, 2021. Read more about the Aeroplan program changes.
Why Get an Aeroplan Credit Card?
The fastest way to earn Aeroplan Miles is to get an Aeroplan credit card. When you make purchases at Aeroplan-affiliated partners with your Aeroplan credit card and present your Aeroplan membership card, you’ll earn twice the points. There are even credit cards that allow you to transfer your reward points from other loyalty programs into Aeroplan points. After all, it’s all about getting you on your next journey faster.
Aeroplan vs. AIR MILES
You may be wondering: what’s the difference between Aeroplan and AIR MILES? Here’s the low-down: they’re entirely different rewards programs, with different rewards systems.
When comparing Aeroplan vs. AIR MILES, Aeroplan is the travel rewards program that allows you to earn the most points in the fastest way possible. With over 150 partner brands and over 150 online retailers, it’s super easy to earn Aeroplan points when shopping for everyday items.
AIR MILES is one of the most popular loyalty programs in Canada. With an AIR MILES Collector Card, you can turn everyday purchases – like gas and groceries – into free flights, car rentals, event tickets, hotel stays, electronics, and so much more. Here’s how it works: when shopping at participating partner stores, flash your AIR MILES card at the check-out counter and automatically earn AIR MILES for your purchases.
While it’s fairly easy to collect Miles, it can take much longer to accumulate enough points to redeem them: generally, one AIR MILE is worth anywhere between $0.12 and $0.194. However, what’s unique about AIR MILES is that you can directly pay with AIR MILES at some partner retailers, which is handy for everyday purchases like groceries. Like Aeroplan, AIR MILES has an online shop (AirMilesShops.ca) where you can earn extra points through purchases, but their retail partner list isn’t as extensive.
If you want to earn AIR MILES quickly, consider adding an AIR MILES credit card to your wallet.
Final Words: What is the Best Aeroplan Credit Card in Canada?
Comparing all the options, our choice for the best Aeroplan credit card in Canada is the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card. It has a winning welcome offer, excellent perks, and an affordable annual fee that’s rebated for the first year. Plus, the earn rate is excellent, and if you use the card strategically, you can accumulate points quickly and easily.
With so many travel rewards programs to choose from, you might be wondering if carrying an Aeroplan card is right for you. The ability to earn easily (and to convert points from other programs) along with the flexibility to buy flights or redeem merchandise partly explains why Aeroplan is Canada’s most popular travel rewards program. If you’re hoping to put your everyday spending to work towards your next vacation, an Aeroplan credit card might be just the thing.
The Best Credit Cards by Category:
- The Best Travel Rewards Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Credit Cards in Canada
- Best Credit Cards to Use for Car Rental Insurance
- The Best Low Interest Rate Credit Cards in Canada
- Best No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Cash Back Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best AIR MILES Rewards Credit Cards in Canada
This post was not sponsored. The views and opinions expressed in this review are purely my own.
* American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply.